Did you know that the Gypsy Spirit also cruises the Chicago River? We even have a list of tour guides to narrate your charter.
The Chicago River is a unique part of our city, and one that tourists and locals always find fascinating. Architectural gems, old and new, line the river bank. Condos, offices, hotels, restaurants and cafes. If you haven’t seen it, you’re in for a treat.
Fascinating Chicago River Factoids
Keep us in mind for your upcoming parties, meetings or events. Family celebrations, wedding receptions, intimate dinner parties ---whatever the occasion – we’ll make sure you and your guests have a fabulous time.
- The Chicago River System is 156 miles long and flows through downtown Chicago.
- 52 moveable bridges span the river
- The river flowed directly into Lake Michigan until 1900, when the Chicago Sanitary District reversed the flow, using a series of canal locks. Today the river empties into the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal.
- Garbage filled the river until the 1990s when it underwent an extensive cleaning as part of Mayor Daley’s Chicago beautification program.
- On St. Patrick's Day, the river is dyed bright green.
And as always, we’ll make planning your event easy, hassle free and fun.
back to top